These fitting instructions are guidelines only. We can not be held responsible for any mistakes or inaccuracies forthwith. There are variations on universal wiring kits. We advocate you ALWAYS use a qualified mechanic a vehicle electrician.
Measure an equal distance from either side of the front grille, pick a spot where you want the lights go and look effective.
Use self tapping screws to secure the brackets in place, the upper screw on the bracket will attach to the double skin on the inside of the bonnet (DO NOT GO THROUGH THE BONNET) put electricians tape under the screws to stop the self tapping screw slipping around.
Attach the lights to the brackets.
When cutting all the wires to length place the relay in the position that you will keep it and then measure the wire length from there. Some people place it behind the headlight.
Connect a wire from terminal 30 to the positive of your battery use an inline fuse anywhere between this, - 15AMP Minimum.
Connect a wire from terminal 86 to the positive wire on your high beam, this will switch the lights on when you put your high beam on. Fit an inline switch so you can turn them off from the inside of your car (you need to splice in the wire on your high beam).
Ground the relay from terminal 85, the best ground on the car is the main battery?s ground.
Connect 2 wires from terminal 87 using one (1) spade connector, one to each light ( if you use one wire and fit both lights to it then one of the lights will come on first then the second! )
Tidy all the wires up and secure the relay somewhere, such as placing it it behind the headlight.
BMW DO NOT FIT AN INLINE SWITCH WITH THESE LIGHTS AS THEY COME ON WITH YOUR HIGH BEAM WHEN IN POOR VISIBILITY. HOWEVER SOME PEOPLE LIKE TO HAVE THEM ON WHEN STATIONARY SO YOU NEED TO HAVE AN INLINE SWITCH TO DO THIS.
You do not need BMW to code in any lights.
DISCLAIMER - WE HOLD NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOU CARRYING OUT THIS WORK - THESE ARE EXAMPLE GUIDELINES ONLY - YOU SHOULD ALWAYS USE A QUALIFIED MECHANIC OR VEHICLE ELECTRICIAN. YOU MAY HAVE SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT WIRE COLOURS AND KIT THEREFORE NEED TO ADJUST THE FITTING AS REQUIRED.
As mentioned earlier there are many variations on fitting - you can google 'wipac lights fitting instructions' you will find lots of advice in many mini specialist forums
IF YOU HAVE A MUTI COLOURED WIRING KIT (GRAYSTON etc) SEE THE WIRING INSTRUCTIONS HERE..
Basic wiring instructions
Connect red wire to positive terminal/jumpstart treminal.
Connect Blue wires to Spot lamps
Connect Green wire to Yellow/Blue wire on back of headlamp (main beam wire)
Connect black wire to a headlamp mounting bolt.
Note: This is a general wiring diagram for automotive applications. Use as reference only. Your lamp kit harness my have different wire colors.
- Locate the low beam or high beam light lead on one headlamp by using a circuit tester. Use the following procedure: For Fog Lights: Turn on the low beam headlamps. Connect the end of the circuit tester to ground (-) and use the tester to locate the headlamp low beam lead. Turn off the ignition and the headlamps. Disconnect the battery. For Driving Lights: Turn on the high beam headlamps. Connect the end of the circuit tester to ground (-) and use the tester to locate the headlamp high beam lead. Turn off the ignition and the headlamps. Disconnect the battery.
- Scotch-lock the bare end of the GREEN wire to the low or high beam lead. Connect the other end of the GREEN wire to the green switch wire terminal.
- Attach the BLACK wires from the lamps to the vehicle ground.
- Position the relay upright on the battery side of the engine compartment in an area that is not exposed to water spray, excessive heat or moving parts. Make sure the relay is mounted close enough to the battery so the RED power lead will easily reach the positive (+) terminal of the battery.
- Connect the RED wire to the positive (+) battery terminal and to the relay terminal labeled 30.
- Route the RED / WHITE wires from the lamps to the relay. Connect the RED / WHITE wire to the lamp terminals and to the relay terminal labeled 87.
- Connect one BLACK lead to the vehicle ground and to the relay terminal labeled 86.
- Connect the YELLOW wire to the yellow switch wire terminal and to the relay terminal labeled 85.
- Test the operation of the lamps as follows: Re-connect the battery. Turn on ignition switch and low beam headlamps for Fog Lamps, or high beam headlamps for Driving Lamps. Activate auxiliary lamp switch. If lamps do not illuminate, check fuses and all wiring connections.
- Use wire ties to secure any slack portion of the 12 volt connection or wire harness in the engine compartment away from moving parts or excessive heat.
IMPORTANT !!! WHEN FITTING BRACKETS............
R50 / R52 / R53 BRACKETS - USE SELF TAPPING SCREWS (OR BOLTS IF PREFERRED).
MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT PIERCE THE OUTER SKIN WITH THE TOP SINGLE SCREW / BOLT!
WITH THESE BRACKETS THERE IS NO NEED TO PURCHASE A NEW GRILLE - YOU MAY NEED TO TRIM YOUR GRILLE VERY SLIGHTLTY, DEPENDING ON YOUR MODEL - THIS MEANS NO DRILLING OR REMOVAL OF ANY BUMPER PARTS TO INSTALL - ALL TEMPLATES AND INSTRUCTIONS SUPPLIED WITH YOUR PURCHASE. 100% POSITIVE FEEDBACK ON THESE UNIQUE KITS AND ABOUT £300 LOWER PRICED THAN BMW ALTERNATIVES.